Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Two-on-One

This past week, the kids and I went to the Houston Zoo and the Wildlife Park. Usually I can depend on my “motherly instincts” to tell me that planning two field trips back-to-back is probably not the best idea when you are by yourself with two toddlers, BUT, we survived and had a great time. I did however discover that my greatest challenge, now that Hudson is older and walking, is trying to watch both kids when they are both on-the-move. Sam points out that we are not “out-numbered” yet when we take the kids out together, but I have to disagree because on a daily basis—I am already out-numbered! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy every minute of it; I just have to find a better way to make sure Annie and Hudson both have fun and stay with me. Sometimes I think they agree to go in different directions just to see what I will do…I welcome any advice. I don’t want to strap them in strollers all the time. I was blessed to see my friend Rachel at the zoo. Not only was it wonderful to spend some time with her, but she was a great help with Annie and Hudson. It was nice to have a second pair of hands to help the kids look at the animals and make sure they did not get into trouble.

The Wildlife Park was pretty easy, besides Annie running through a field of manure then pleading with me, “I just wanted to see the animal mommy!” I was running after her, carrying Hudson, and dodging manure piles…The kids had a blast and Hudson was able to take a pony ride for the first time, which he absolutely loved.


Annie and Hudson are both pretty fearless. Annie was petting the animals when they came to the tram to eat, and Hudson was trying to get some of the animal food to taste himself. I don’t think he ever ate any, but I guess it would have been good fiber anyway…



At the petting zoo, Hudson was petting all the goats and he even laid his head on the back of one of them. Annie was fascinated with this huge pig that was asleep…she crouched down next to him and threatened to poke him with her finger. Of all that she saw that day, the first thing she told her daddy about when he got home was the “sleeping pig.”

1 comment:

Jillian said...

If you poke that nasty pig he will make a scary grunt.....the boys do it every time.....AAGGGHHH!!!

Can not believe you did not call me to go to the wildlife park- you will have to go again with us.

Love those pink toes by the way!